Presentation of the School of Agricultural Engineering of the UEX
The School of Agricultural Engineering (Escuela de Ingenierías Agrarias, EIA) is the oldest universitary center for agroalimentary teaching in Extremadura, it has its origin in the Agricultural Farm School opened by HM Alfonso XIII in 1905.
The Farm School was located in its present location, at the "Santa Engracia" farm belonging to the Provincial Council of Badajoz, which gave it to the Ministry of Agriculture while it keeped an agricultural teachings center.
In the period 1927-1929, studies leading to the title of Agricultural Expert were offered, lighting a promotion of graduates in this first stage, in which agricultural undergraduate studies were regulated by the Ministry of Agriculture.
Taking advantage of existing facilities, the Farm School became Intermediate Technical School of Agricultural Technical Engineering (Decree 854/68 of April 4, BOE April 22) and University School of Agricultural Technical Engineering (Decree 1377/72 May 10, BOE June 7), being integrated in the University of Seville and imparting the teachings of the specialty in Agricultural Holdings.
With the establishment of the University of Extremadura (UEX) in 1973, the School of Agricultural Engineering became part of it since its inception.
Considering the type of centers proposed by UEX Project, in 1993 it became the multicurricular center School of Agricultural Engineering (RD 1286/1993 June 30, BOE August 28), acquiring the legal capacity to impart these qualifications: Technical Engineering in Agricultural Holdings, Technical Engineering in Hortofruticulture and Gardening, Technical Engineering in Agricultural and Food Industries, and Agricultural Engineer.
In 1997, at the proposal of the Social Council of UEX, the Extremadura Regional Government expanded the catalog of qualifications assigned to the center, with Licentiate in Science and Technology of Food, starting this teaching in the academic year 1998-99. Its Curriculum was approved by Resolution of the University of Extremadura on November 11, 1998, and it was published in the BOE on December 2 of that year.
During 2007/2008 course, the Master's Degree in Quality Management and Traceability in Plant-Based Foods began to be taught as an official postgraduate degree.
In the 2009/10 academic year, new undergraduate degrees began to be taught: Degree in Engineering of Agricultural Holdings, Degree in Hortofruticulture and Gardening Engineering and Degree in Engineering of Agricultural and Food Industries, which replaced the previous undergraduate degrees of Agricultural Technical Engineerings. Also in this course the new Master's Degree in Research in Engineering and Architecture (Agricultural Engineering Speciality) started, allowing to complement the academic training of degree studies, and also to approach research training. Adaptation to EHEA of Master's Degree in Quality Management and Traceability in Plant-Based Foods, was completed too in that course.
In the 2010/11 academic year the new Degree in Science and Technology of Food was introduced, which replaced the previous Licenciate degree.
During 2015/2016 course, Master's Degree in Agricultural Engineering started, taking the professional duties of previous Degree of Agricultural Engineer.